Friday, January 21, 2011

Simple things.

Lately I’ve been questioning things: the textbooks that I read, the preacher’s interpretation of a bible text, and my lecturers’ scholarly view on a topic. Sometimes there’s a voice in my head asking, “who gave you monarchy over truth?” I’m starting to see that my textbooks, authored by renowned academic doctors and professors, have got errors in them - both typos and info. Then I get this compelling feeling like I need to educate someone, make them see that there is another way that just might work as good, if not better. But most times, I find myself learning to assert control over my tongue. I learn to keep quiet, and let these wise ones have their say. Maybe someday the ambiance might become serene enough for them to hear what I will have to say.

But things are getting too complicated. It seems as if everyone is running really fast to reach some destination I’m not yet certain about. I am not in a hurry to catch up. I usually do, following with a few inches behind. That way I get to know the furrowed paths not to trace, and learn from the mistakes of the fallen ones the places where I might stand the tallest. And just as my cousin’s fb status read “life was much easier when Apple and Blackberry were just fruits,” I want to go back to the simple days. But not without my computer :).

January is rolling by quite quick, and it is back to the days of waking up early in the mornings. Getting up for my 7a.m classes is a mighty huge drag. But wake I must. And each time, I struggle with the urge between those very pleasant minutes of sleep that occur just at the brink of dawn and my innate resolve to be a responsible man. I really try, hard.

It feels even more comforting reaching campus to realize that just like myself, everyone appears tired and worn out. But they keep pushing regardless, which is why I really admire these ones in my class - the special ones who amid the chaotic bustle and rigorous work load thrown our way still find time to share and enjoy the simple things of life. The warm smiles that ease the cold mornings, a reeling laughter from a funny joke that cheers the heart, and the amiable conversations we get to exchange over lunch.

And each day, I’m gladdened to know that just as simple as the sun shines, there is a bright light that radiates from these faces that casts away the dreadful shadows from tedious and sleepless nights. A bright light that shined from the simple things that they shared.

No comments:

Post a Comment