Monday, September 28, 2009

Mom and Dad!


The words were simple
Train up a child in the way that he should grow
And he will not depart when he is old
And so hand in hand like a handbag you dragged me along
To the place of worship where the spirit flowed
And even though I sometimes thought them cacophony
You told me “shut your eyes and open your mouth”
Those nights my praying would start.

Turbulent teen years, exuberant adolescence
But still you stood, all night on your two feet
praying to the father to guide me and keep
never relenting, ever abandoning the comfort of your sheets

Many times there were when I wished for another
the days when you didn’t spare the rod,
and in pain I would shudder
not understanding that it was your love
aimed to keep me above and not under

And so I’m just glad that you are here among us, among the living
‘cause even though I travelled round the world
with all of the trophies and glories I’ve been winning
To God; to you I owe gratitude
And this today I am giving.


Thank you mom and dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment